AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Coyote hunting dogs and landowner rights
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 12/3/2022 09:32 (#9962807 - in reply to #9962659)
Subject: RE: Coyote hunting dogs and landowner rights

East of Broken Bow
In all fairness, you didn't hear exactly what he said, and gave him permission to go onto your property. To me, just the fact that he called and asked, instead of just letting his dogs run wild makes me think he was at least trying to do things as properly as possible.

I'd call him back, tell him you didn't realize he was bringing his dogs onto your property because you couldn't hear him (if it was your combine making noise, IMO, and thank him for calling you for permission. Mention that your dogs/pets got upset more than you realized, and next time could he please leave the dogs in the truck.

I see no reason to antagonize someone who is trying to do the right thing. For all we know, it could be just one of those situations that went sideways, and they did the best they could to respect you and your property. Cussing them out, runs the risk of them jut forgetting to call next time. No idea on your laws there, but 'here' a dog that wanders onto your property is not trespassing, so long as the dog was released onto property it had permission to be on, as dog's can't read signs. You would have to prove they released the dogs in a circumstance where it was obvious they were going to go onto your property to get a trespass. However, the dog owner would be liable for damages the dog caused, but you would be liable for any harm you inflicted on the dog, with the exception of it attacking your pet or harassing your livestock. Laws very from State to State, and a lot of it is subject to the judgement of the local game warden/sheriff as to who was at fault in the matter.

Now, if these guys have a habit of causing trouble, by all means, tell them never again, but if they were trying to do the right thing as best they could, I wouldn't be too harsh. We have lost far more pets to coyotes than to hounds, and we have hound hunters that live only 2-3 miles away, and run the dogs every week.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)