AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Box Drill vs Air Drill
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

HillsideFarming
Posted 12/2/2022 21:16 (#9962250 - in reply to #9960974)
Subject: RE: Box Drill vs Air Drill

East Central Nebraska
I switch last year from a great plains 2s-2600hd to a sunflower 9831NT air drill. It's a rebranded concord NT30. The great plains was a very good drill but I was outgrowing it's size and capacity. Going to a 30ft air drill isn't much of an increase width wise over 26ft but I drill most everything now at 7.5-8 mph instead of 5-5.5 mph with the box drill. That alone increased my coverage from around 15 acres/hr to 25-26 acres/hr. I run in some pretty steep hilly ground for most of my acres I cover. The sunflower has two tanks, front is 105 bu and back is 70 bu that are both on the drill itself and not trailed. If you want ease of maintenance, you won't find another air drill that requires less maintenance and less wear parts than the 9831NT. Uses same row units as a sunflower box drill so instead of having to crawl underneath the frame to get at units, it's all accessible from the rear and when raised up, everything is close to chest height. I drill soybeans, alfalfa, wheat, cover mixes and forages of all types. Really accurate drill. Flow sensors on every row, which is a huge plus over the box drill, and easy to calibrate. But I do doubt there's anything out there on the used market. Believe they first came out in 2019.

Edited by HillsideFarming 12/2/2022 21:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)