AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CAT 3176 oil leak repair?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

4WD
Posted 11/30/2022 19:12 (#9958602 - in reply to #9958541)
Subject: RE: CAT 3176 oil leak repair?

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

Hopefully, your oil leak is the typical oil leak, at the gasket that the camshaft goes thru from front cover, into the cylinder head/Alum. spacer area, BUT it requires the Camshaft to be removed.(AND fuel transfer pump, if it is at back of camshaft, behind ECM)

Another issue, was if  that steel 90 degree support bracket, was ever loose or broke, then the OEM air conditioning compressor "stresses" would break/crack the front cover and cause an oil leak, too. (note: your front cover "looks" unpainted, so maybe it has already had that type of failure, in the past.)

I seem to remember an update, for slightly longer metric bolts and new Helicoils, when changing that upper gasket between front cover AND that 4" tall (100mm) Aluminum spacer (where camshaft rides) Note: if helicoils, where ALREADY in the 100mm alum. spacer, then they could be left alone, BUT if the metric bolt threads only were tapped into the bare Aluminum, THEN that update applied and you drilled/tapped/ and Heli-Coiled those 4 holes, for a better, "more Robust" repair. (longer bolts, too = maybe only 5mm longer)

We used metal coat hangers' wire, that we cut and bent to hold up "Cam followers/rollers" to get out the camshaft, so we didn't have to remove the cylinder head.

This is what I remember from roughly 20 years ago.

Edited by 4WD 11/30/2022 19:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)