AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trip to Europe
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

thinkstoomuch
Posted 11/29/2022 14:36 (#9956309 - in reply to #9952587)
Subject: RE: Trip to Europe

Kettle Moraine, WI
It will be as expensive as you make it. Eating out here or there is expensive. They have grocery stores too. A sandwich or breakfast at lodging can extend dollars to have 2 light meals before a large meal out with less cost consciousness. Choose to stay off the beaten path and you can save money and travel more as a local. Read reviews on all lodging.

I believe traveling in Europe can easily be cheaper than traveling in the US from experience. Don't have to be cheap just watch costs.

Plan a day off. Jet lag, travel interruptions tiredness of everything new, and the like makes some downtime worth it.

Europe economy airlines can be cheap. Consider a few days the other side of the continent. Going somewhere that you don't speak the language can be enlightening. I find the edge of my comfort zone to be the most memorable. Don't need to stay in the bubble of the western edge of the continent.

Pet peeve of mine so I mention it everytime. Travel light preferably 1 bag that meets all carrier's carry-on size dimensions. One bagging it makes the first step off the plane the start of the adventure. Not waiting for luggage or worse, don't make lugging your luggage around the majority of your trip. Dragged down by multiple bags and rollers will get old quick and drain mental energy. One bag travel allows you to go see sights between lodging changes instead of worrying where your luggage is from the check out to check in. Also can use public transport versus needing expensive taxi. You need to wash clothes at some time so twice a week isn't outlandish. I will add if you lots of luggage, realize outside the airport sidewalks and walkways are uneven and breaking a roller's wheel without a replacement will be nerve wrecking. Plan for contingencies and consider good quality luggage. In general lodging will not have as easy parking as most of the US.

Trip advisor top places to visit is great resource and has mostly accurate reviews.

Suggestions on where to go is dependent on what you like. Eventually a castle become just another castle. Museums are often good if that's your thing. Focusing on eating good at restaurants in entertainment. Going to the grocery store can be interesting. City walking tours are often great experiences. Even the difference of fast food there is different and something to see the difference and the sameness.

The best experiences were often the random places. Meeting and talking to strangers at a happenstance locations were memorable. Going to a restaurant just because you are there. Deciding to go to another country that morning and just buy a ticket and go.

If your wife is open to surprises, one suggestion I would give is leave your luggage at your relatives, with minimal day bag and passport and wallet, hop on a cheap flight to a foreign country (say an hour or so flight) have lunch, and then return back. I don't see how that couldn't be memorable for decades to come.

Most important of all. Go with the flow. You will encounter changes to the plan for some reason unknown. Just go with it. Nothing will ruin the joy quicker than being hung up on something that didn't go as planned (miss a flight or bus, unenjoyable meal, lodging not as expected, sight was boring)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)