AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another turning on the lathe question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 11/21/2022 19:18 (#9943730 - in reply to #9943584)
Subject: RE: Another turning on the lathe question

just a tish NE of central ND
Well, I'm always learning, because something different always arises every time you turn something down and I don't have much experience either. Sometimes I just scratch my head and wonder why everything looks like it should cut like butter and it doesn't want to cooperate.Parting tool challenges come to mine(:
....It doesn't look too bad, just not a polished finish.Do you get some chatter?Here is some of the things I have found. Shorten the sickout length of the tool bit. Yours is out quite a bit more that it looks to have to be.Run the tool holder as close to perfectly over the center of the compound as you can to give the best rigidity of the tool.
You are running carbide insert tooling. Carbide inserts LIKE quite FAST spindle speeds and fairly aggressiveness depth and feed. I'm guessing you are way too slow on your spindle speed you are using to produce a better finish. Experiment with different speeds, leave the feed rates and depth the same and see if it improves.I think that is what everyone does untill they get experienced.Blue colored hot chips when using carbide often make better finish on the stock being turned(at a high rpm) than the chips that come off cold and slow. You might have to reduce your feed rates at high RPM'S though.
Enjoy!

Edited by School Of Hard Knock 11/21/2022 19:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)