AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do you think Iowa CORS will work for me?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

caseihfarmer
Posted 11/14/2022 22:00 (#9932297 - in reply to #9932014)
Subject: RE: Do you think Iowa CORS will work for me?

East Central, Nebraska
you usually need a line of sight with radio rtk. typically that is because the radio signal has distance restrictions. traditionally we first saw 900mhz radio and then 450mhz radio. the 450 would go further than the 900 but the 450 had some licensing issues to deal with. the good part of radio is you didn't have to worry about getting too far out to start seeing accuracy problems.

current day modems do not have this restriction. that is unless you have cellular issues then that is a whole different set of problems. so some networks still move correction data through radio which line of sight is a huge plus where modems move data through cellular where line of site is not necessary the slightest bit.

a huge downfall of cellular rtk would be what your trying to do and that is stretching it out way too far. in the older days we would like to see the rover (tractor) a few miles from the base. now with cellular you can be a long long ways from the base. one may think that is great but it is not. i don't know the distance restrictions anymore but someone else on here could tell you. the calculation was something like each mile you get from the base you lose a half inch of accuracy or something along that line. i truly have no idea what the number is but i do know 20 miles is bad. as i stated though it still may be better than a sat correction service like terrastar but very undesirable when sub inch accuracy and repeatability is required.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)