AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Blog post:Pork cooking trends
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 10/22/2022 07:41 (#9896541 - in reply to #9896411)
Subject: RE: Blog post:Pork cooking trends

I don't doubt that Comfrey farms Duroc will be good eating off your smoker.   It would be interesting to know if that is from purebred Durocs or crosses.     (Don't tell Husker if its good, its raised in large confinements by a large corporate farm and processed in a decent sized packing plant in Windom, MN)

The industry as a whole started shifting towards using Duroc boars a few years back.     Currently the 2 most widely used boar lines in the pork industry are both Durocs.     I know of a couple packing plants that want exclusively Duroc sired hogs. 

About that random critter that isn't good, I have one of those in my freezer right now.   Been having our own hogs butchered locally for years.  The last hog that I had butchered isn't good.   Far as I can remember there wasn't anything wrong with that particular hog, it was a big barrow, there's lots of fat in the meat but the taste just isn't what I expect.     

I've talked to cattle guys that say the same thing about getting random animals butchered that aren't as good as they expect also so its not just a hog thing.    I suspect is something of a hormone issue due to stress during its life.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)