AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tell me about Starlink internet
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

ihmanky
Posted 10/14/2022 10:05 (#9886295 - in reply to #9883547)
Subject: RE: Tell me about Starlink internet

KY

jonas grumby - 10/12/2022 13:10 are you concerned with service if there is ever an issue. I would like to switch to Starlink but am concerned if I would ever have issues and need technical assistance. I currently get a signal from a nearby water tower. Signal is OK for what I need but if we ever want to stream TV stuff we could be lacking. The good thing is our provider is local so if I call I get the issue fixed quickly. Often the same day but at least the next day. With our internet usage my wife and I can not be without internet for an extended period of time.

Prompt service is something I don't have personal reason to be concerned with, but there's a lot of gripe out there on forums about the lack of response.. however it seems like 90% of those are people who have been on a long wait list (and continue to get pushed out like I did repeatedly) but get no feedback when they ask questions.  That being said, the only money Starlink has from them is their $99 deposit from whenever they signed up a long time ago, it's not like they are full-blown customers who are paying them monthly for such support.

That being said, I am very frustrated with the lack of communication by the company on these continuous delays.  To stay hush-hush about it until the time has passed that people are expecting to get a shipping notice and then send them an email pushing them out another 6 months to a year is probably a lot of the reason they're getting a lot of complaints.  Communication is key, upfront and not on the backend.  

I have a backup, annual subscription hotspot that I bought when I got pushed out on Starlink the first time.  I will pay that fee again in January and if starlink stays reliable AND I get turned on to the full-tier service next summer as I've been told, I will consider not renewing that hotspot.  All in all, I've given HughesNet, ViaSat and Exede (a couple of those are now one and the same) a heck of a lot more money over the years, for much poorer service, and truly horrific customer service, all with a contract you were obligated to and had to pay to leave if you didn't see it through.  90% of residences in my County are "suppose" to get fiber connections by end of '23, but I would lay a tall bet that I'll wind up in the 10% that never sees it.. hell I couldn't even get water or a landline phone ran down my county road, I highly doubt fiber is coming to me.  Starlink may be my only option until truly wireless/dishless broadband with no caps is developed.  The problem I see is, as soon as rural america gets something that's "good enough" to suffice, the technology will advance beyond what those connections will support.  Already looking at 25-30mbps to stream 4K, which probably only the metro areas of the US can guarantee to hit reliably enough to say they can count on that to work anytime.  No big deal right now, but what about when 4K is the new low-end stream and the high quality stream requires 50mbps or more, and they no longer offer a "low-rate" HD stream?  Content creators/providers are always a step ahead of the support for such.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)