AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rotator cuff torn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

shade
Posted 9/21/2022 20:26 (#9854918 - in reply to #9854568)
Subject: RE: Rotator cuff torn

NC Kansas
I fell on ice in Feb, of 2017. Medical doc looked it over and told me I had "shoulder impingement". He never seen me move it or even touched it to evaluate it. I went about 30 days of pain if raising above mid torso. Made the call to my chiropractor, to see if he could help it. He had me try 4 different movements and said; "Your rotator cuff is torn, get an MRI". I called the same med clinic that the doc had "not evaluated" my shoulder and told them what my chiropractor told me and they got me scheduled. Ortho doc was booked solid and I finally got my shoulder done 3 months after I injured it. I wore the sling for 6 weeks with some therapy starting at the 3 week post op time frame. (I wore it 2 extra weeks than the doc suggested just to remind myself so I wouldn't overdo it. ) I did about 8 weeks of therapy and suggest to do exactly what they tell you. I also had a bicep injury at the same time and although they fixed it, it had went a bit too long and I don't have much strength doing mostly things like turning a screwdriver.

I had injured my right shoulder and today it is stronger and has less pain than the left one. I attribute some of the pain in the left shoulder due to the fact that I used it a lot while the right one was healing and I was very careful for about a year and a half after the surgery. I do exercises every morning to keep mobility in my shoulders and it helps a lot. Doing them also helps my back feel better also.

If you are proceeding with surgery, plan ahead some. if you are a "righty" and use your "right hand" in the bathroom, you might work on acclimating the left one to the new duties. I had a friend tell me it was all about foot placement, and although it will cause you to laugh, he was SPOT ON! I also knew I couldn't flip the lever on my recliner, so I got me an electric one and made a hook out of PVC pipe so I could reach across to the button using my left hand. I slept the first 3 weeks exclusively in my recliner. Make sure you have sweats and loose fitting clothes because getting dressed is a bit unique for a while also. Give some thought to using only the good hand for all your tasks for a few weeks prior to surgery, it may help you get a few things prepped for recovery.

I would do it again in a heartbeat! Listen to your therapists and go slow and easy. Once you wear your arm in a sling you will be amazed at all the people that have went through it and most with excellent results!!

Good luck!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)