AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Deck Maintenance
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

tigger
Posted 9/7/2022 08:21 (#9833214 - in reply to #9831729)
Subject: RE: Deck Maintenance

Iowa
That's a nice looking deck. I don't know much about deck staining (got composite).

It looks like a good way to put the kids to work. They can take a little pride in a job well done, remember the experience, and appreciate what it takes to make a better life.

Mom used to let me play with scissors when I was old enough to walk across the lawn (or maybe she did not know I had her scissors). There was a patch of dandelions in the corner. They looked ugly sticking up above the grass with the seeds blowing off the heads. I cut the whole patch off with the scissors. Most of a morning was spent to get the job done. It looked so much better, a very satisfying experience. They grew back a few days later. I cut them again. They grew back again. I cut them again, but it was starting to seem like an act of futility. Dad got a riding lawn mower from Sears two or three years later. It had all of 6 hp, twice a much as the push mower! He taught me how to run it when I was 5 or 6 years old. It made a lot quicker work of the dandelions than Mom's scissors, but they still grew back. I discovered 24D a few years later. The dandelions are still here, but not as many. They will be here longer than I will. Time has a way of erasing a lot of what we do, but the satisfaction of having done it remains as long as one can remember.

Hope your family enjoys the deck. I'd also be inclined to look for a bigger brush or something to make the job easier. In general, keep doing what you are doing.

Edited by tigger 9/7/2022 08:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)