AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spring - Australia
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Aussy Harold
Posted 9/4/2022 01:41 (#9828264)
Subject: Spring - Australia

North East Wimmera district of Victoria.

G'day from down under, where we are just starting our Spring.

Not too far from us is a little mountain, named Mt.Jeffcott.  At this time of year we enjoy an occasional drive to it's summit [!] to see the Wimmera plains patchwork of Canola and other cereals and legumes.

As we started out it was mostly sunny, but cloud got thicker by the time we arrived.  Two photos to share with you.

One is the sun shining on a paddock of Canola only a mile and a half from where we were standing. As you can see by the sky, there was more cloud than blue, so the real brilliance of the view was not displayed to its best.

The other is a wattle bush in full bloom - once again, more sun would have been much better! The background is a tree killed in a summer fire about 4 years ago, and the yellowish tinge to the grass is millions of small wildflowers [don't ask what plant -  I do not know!] The whole mount was blackened, but has [obviously] regenerated many of the plants destroyed in that fire.

As my tag says, I am a retired grain grower!  Seven years out from marketing the coming harvest. Back then if I got $400/tonne for Canola, I was pretty pleased. A couple of months ago canola could bee 'sold' for over $1000 Aud /tonne. Not close enough to those growing this years crop to know if some was tied to those record prices, but currently the price has dropped to ~$700/t.   Such is farming!

Seen comments on NAT of corn harvest getting underway in someones travels in the US!  Harvest safely!

(Jeffcott 2022 - 2 (full).jpg)

(Jeffcott 2022 - 1 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Jeffcott 2022 - 2 (full).jpg (146KB - 231 downloads)
Attachments Jeffcott 2022 - 1 (full).jpg (209KB - 267 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)