AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Am I the 3rd or 4th generation?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

case
Posted 8/14/2022 21:08 (#9797071)
Subject: Am I the 3rd or 4th generation?

Central ND
Have always kind of wondered which generation I would classify myself, as well as my kids.

Like the subject says, I wonder if I'm the 3rd generation or the 4th generation?

The easy answer is, on the current farmstead, I'm the 3rd generation. My grandpa built the current farmstead from nothing, then it was my dad, and now me.

But the reason I question the 4th generation, is my great grandpa started a farmstead just 1/4" mile away. My grandpa was a twin. His twin kept the original farmstead and my grandpa started the one where we currently are.

My grandpa's twin had a couple sons who then farmed, and eventually they both retired from farming and now I farm a lot of the land they did.

So it's really a debate of, does the generations go by the farmstead they live on? Or is it just the generations of farming?

I guess I kind of second guess myself because not all farming families stay on the original farmstead but do keep on farming elsewhere.

What's your opinion? Am I 3rd or 4th?

To go along with that, say I was the 4th generation, if I put up a sign at the farm that says ("Last Name" Farms) established XXXX. What year should I put? The year my grandpa started the farmstead? Or the year my great grandpa homesteaded and started farming? For the record, I'm the only remaining farmer of the "Last Name" left.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)