AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Combine auto steer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/6/2022 07:00 (#9782798 - in reply to #9781486)
Subject: RE: Combine auto steer

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I read the above post and replies with interest as I'm going into a similar situation. This only pertains to soybeans as there should be no confusion for corn.

Our soybeans are planted in rows with a 24-30" planter. The soybean head is 35' which is exactly 14-30" rows. Last year, I followed the rows and steered manually. I took exactly 14 rows in the main part of the field.

We make 2 planter passes on each headland for a total of 48 rows. My first pass with the combine of necessity would harvest 14 rows. I would then make 3 smaller passes so as to harvest the headland rows and a few feet of the main rows. This allowed the head to "find it's height" before reaching the standing crop when doing the main part of the field.

This year I am adding Ag Leader's Steady Steer (assisted steering not hydraulic auto steer) to the combine. My goal is to be able to harvest our rectangular soybean fields at a slight angle to the rows. I have several neighbors who do this and it appears that they do a better job of cutting than I do. The beans were planted with auto steer and TerraStar correction on generally flat land. The combine will use the same TerraStar corrected GPS but with assisted steering rather than auto steer. I'm hoping that setting the guidance for 1' less would be workable. If I'm passing over a "guess row" on a hill that has a wider gap, the 1' grace may not be enough. Time will tell.

After harvesting the headlands, I thinking for my initial pass that I will pick some spot and enter in an A+ heading and let the steering take me across on the initial pass. I could then work my way out from that initial pass or make new "strike through" passes as desired.

I realize that having the combine set for 35' and the guidance at 34' will result in exaggeration of the total acres but I'm not overly concerned about that. The field size is confirmed by other operations. We run the entire crop through the grain cart with its own scale and record every load.

Any other tips or suggestion are welcome.

Edited by tedbear 8/6/2022 10:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)