AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teejet turbo twin or air inducted turbo twin for liberty?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WilgerIndustries
Posted 7/6/2022 13:48 (#9736710 - in reply to #9736602)
Subject: RE: Teejet turbo twin or air inducted turbo twin for liberty?

What nozzle size are you looking at? I find the smaller the nozzle, the easier it is to go to that AITTJ type spray compared to the TTJ twin type. The larger the nozzle, the TTJ twin is naturally coarser, so it'd become more useful for Liberty.

Like if you are talking a tip size of <-04, then I'd probably use AI TTJ twins. If larger than -04, there'd be more merit to straight TTJ twin.

With the angled spray into wheathead fungicide or flagleaf fungicide, there has been found to be less penalty for nominally coarser spray as well. Because the angled direction increases how far the spray actually has to go before it hits the top of the wheat, the coarser spray has a much better time getting closer to the head before it shears off in the wind or gets pulled off target. Generally speaking, there'd be enough fine spray mixed into it that you'd do a good job.

For the Liberty side of things with an angled tip it does often look like a good setup, but often for the boom heights and travel speeds we are going, it is often less effective than the same nozzle splitting into a 'double-down' type spray instead of the angle. For the same reason in wheat why it does well (the vertical growing target being hit with most of the spray, which kind of rolls into a horizontal travelling plume of spray while the sprayer is trucking forwards), it also can lack in coverage getting down into complex canopies and into and around complex weeds like pigweed/etc.

As far as the drift side of things, you have to look after your real life conditions first, and you know your drift sensitivity better than any one else, so best to adapt to what is realistic.

To give you a rough idea what you might be looking at for driftable fines between the two, it'd be similar to Wilger's MR-DR series for the AI TTJ, and a bit finer than the Wilger SR-MR for the TTJ twin.
So, for your AI TTJ -04 size (if that is what you are using), it'd be sort of equivalent to 2x DR110-02 (for a total -04 size). That'd put you in around the realm of 9% of your spray being driftable fines in ideal conditions. If you are talking winds of 12mph+, double that figure to ~18%.
For your TTJ Twin, its a much finer nozzle, so it'd be like 2x MR110-02 (for -04 total size). That'd put you in around the realm of 17% driftable fines in ideal conditions. In 12mph wind, double it, which is a pretty nasty 34%+.

Again, its not exact by any means as there aren't drift charts for those nozzles, but it'd at least give you an idea where the difference might be for driftable fines to base a relative decision on.

As far as the coverage side of things, probably best I could do is give you an idea based on the same comparative.
So, like a DR110-02 x 2 would have roughly 87% of the spray being fine enough for decent coverage (so the other 13% of your volume would be hung up making droplets larger that 600 microns that are more prone to hitting a leaf and rolling off and doing nothing for contact spraying). Generally when I am talking fungicide, I'd be aiming for that figure to be around 90%+, so you are not too far off from there already.

For the TTJ twin, you'd be in the realm of like 97% of your spray being fine enough for decent coverage (so only 3% of your spray is overly coarse).

So how I might looking at it, you are picking up 10% extra 'meaningful droplets', at a cost of 8% driftable fines in ideal conditions, and ~16% in less ideal wind conditions.

BUT, this depends on the nozzle size as well. It might change a bit if you are going towards a 110-06 size, as you might be more in the realm of like 6% driftable fines and only 74% coverage factor; whereas the TTJ twin might be in the realm of the 8% driftable fines and ~88% coverage factor.

Hope that doesn't confuse you too much, but probably one of the better comparisons between your two options. If you give an idea to confirm application rate, speed, spacing, then it'd be a bit easier to break it down in your real life situation.

-Lucas

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)