AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farm employee question. How would you handle it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

mnfarmer213
Posted 7/3/2022 20:58 (#9732610)
Subject: Farm employee question. How would you handle it?

I hired a new farm employee back in February. Basically needed an all around employee and I thought I had found it. He had some good references, a cdl, and experience operating equipment. He only left his last job due to a family farm sellout. I started him out in the feedlot feeding cattle and bedding pens. I checked in with my foreman after a couple weeks to see how things were going. He said he shows up on time and doesn't play on his phone 24/7 but he's slow. I asked him how slow? He said it takes my new employee 4 hours to do chores that should take 2 hours at the most. I thought maybe he was still getting used to equipment and his job so I didn't think too much of it.

Well as the spring progressed things didn't get any better. No matter what job he was doing it took 2-3 hours longer than it should have. I can't complain about the quality of his work as he's never cut a corner anywhere or cost me a single cent in repairs but he is costing me money in lost efficiency and crops not being planted before the next storm or not getting all the fertilizer/chemical applied in a timely manner. I just can't get him to kick it into a higher gear no matter what I do. Our entire fleet of equipment is less an 5 years old on average so it's not strenuous work and I pay well with plenty of opportunities for bonuses. I feel like the motivation to go faster and work harder should be there. I hate to send him down the road but at this point I'm not sure he's a good fit for my operation. What would you do?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)