AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need help with a scouring bottle calf
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 6/30/2022 21:23 (#9728596 - in reply to #9727058)
Subject: RE: Need help with a scouring bottle calf

SC Wisconsin
I know the universities preach keep giving milk replacer and electrolytes, but ive never had much luck that way, i always pull off milk for 2 feedings. Did you temp him? Personally I would give 3 cc baytril oral with 1 smz tab if you think it's bacterial. Give him a good dose of oral electrolytes, tube him if you have to. Keep that up for 2-3 feedings. Also, keep a full bucket of clean cold water in his pen. I offer clean water from day 1, if they are thirsty they will find it. A bottle of lactate ringers (warmed up) sub q is a real pain in the are to give, but ive brought calves back from the edge with it. If you can get it and want to do it I can tell you how. Remember his gut runs on bacteria (the good kind) and giving any kind of antibiotics will kill them as well as the bad kind so you need to "repopulate" the gut with a probiotic after treatment.

Edit to add- the baytril/smz is a one and done deal. Like another post said give banamine to knock down the fever and get him feeling better

Edited by jcolli140 6/30/2022 21:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)