AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Retirement
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Aussy Harold
Posted 6/22/2022 20:03 (#9716816 - in reply to #9716580)
Subject: RE: Retirement

North East Wimmera district of Victoria.

My three offspring are 1 girl, [married a farmer], and two boys - neither want the farm.

Daughter did an Ag services course after High school, worked in grain marketing, met her now husband of 27 yrs through dealings in his grain!

Middle son, graduated uni in Electronic engineering, firm e got a job with quit research in Aust. and he did a  'tree change' to be a paramedic.

Second son - very keen on animals and birds, but not at all interested in grain farming!, finally qualified as a Psych nurse, happy with his lot.

I found it was easier to accumulate wealth when they all quit being educated! [they are now 45, 48, and 51!]

People thought I should quit at 65 yrs, but of the next 5 years, 3 were the best of my 54 yrs of grain farming!  Good yields, good prices, and reliable machinery, can't get better than that!  Other two years were pretty ordinary but so what. that's farming!

So when I turned 70, lifelong friends and neighbours offered to lease my farm. I put it out to tender, and they are now my lesees.

Kept my semi and did some commercial grain haulage, enjoyed, but figured I did not need to, so sold it!

What keeps me busy?

Church organization -  tho' their Covid rules are hypocritical!   Just changed for the better.

Men's shed  = you've heard of our 100 yr old Hornsby hit miss engine!   Lots of other "stuff".

Historical Group.  Lots of involvement in tracking 'relatives ground' for people whose ancestors farmed in our area.  Great to find

Never bored!!!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)