AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Concern about cattle that are not mine…
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

clicker
Posted 6/20/2022 17:32 (#9713818 - in reply to #9713741)
Subject: RE: Concern about cattle that are not mine…

Southern IA
Larry_minn - 6/20/2022 16:11

I sold my cattle, rented my pasture out. Got call @9am. “The renters cattle are out on your soybeans”
So I called owner, went out, opened my corral. Owner shows up, “not my cattle”.
But we lock them in corral, calling anyone who they might be. @11am owner shows up.
He was thinking of driving them home. .??? I suggested he haul them. 23 @+1000 lb cows, couple steers.. so I ask. “Do you have a trailer”. It’s @ 5 miles by road. Driving them across everyone’s fields?
Yes he has a trailer. I mention 97F they have not had water since 6am (when he said he saw they, others were out)
I told him. It would take me 2 hours to bring @250 gallons. Those cattle were overheated, breathing way to fast, tongues out after we walked then into corral. He said a hour to start getting.
1 pm I call, leave message. 4 pm I get his wife. “He is broadcasting fertilizer, he plans to get them tonight.”

I am a bit ticked. It’s 4 pm, no call, those poor cattle are locked in a corral I have not maintained for @8 years, 150 yards from the river.
I would have aired up tires on home built cattle trailer, hauled them 5 at a time. I am worried there will be dead animals by 7pm.
I have a @250 tote I used to use for water, could fill, give most a sip. Who leaves cattle in sun, 97F+ 16% humidity all day?

sounds like he decide the economic value of a cow is much less than the economic value of getting his crops topdressed. I wouldn't manage cattle like it sounds like he does, but I sure understand how you can burn lots of daylight screwing around with menial cattle work while the window for much more profitable work is quickly disappearing. Truthfully, if he knew you wanted to move them around, he'd probably throw you a hundred dollar bill for fuel and a case of beer and be very grateful for your help. Sometimes misunderstandings and lack of communication create lots of riffs that are not necessary.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)