AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

InCommand 1200 issue with boom sections not turning green when on.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/20/2022 05:46 (#9713096 - in reply to #9713003)
Subject: RE: InCommand 1200 issue with boom sections not turning green when on.

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I am fairly confident that the problem is with the flow meter itself or its wiring. With the older Insights the boom section indicator on the screen would show green when the sections were SUPPOSEDLY on. With the Integra and InCommand 1200, the onscreen section indicators only show green if the system "believes" they are spraying.

This would mean that if you were spraying along and the flow meter stopped or its wiring became disconnected that the onscreen boom indicators would no longer show green, the system would believe it is under applying and attempt to increase the flow resulting in higher pressure and actually over application although this would be limited by the tips. If you observed the Volume/minute at that time I believe it would indicate zero or a small value.

I would remove and disassemble the flow meter next. There could be internal wear causing the turbine to "hang up" at times. Internal debris of mysterious origin could have entered the system.

Just last week, I happened to stop by my nephew's place to ask him a question. He was exploring flow problems with their side dress coulter rig. The symptom was no flow reading. He was just completing the short/no short test on the wiring as I pulled in. This was successful. I suggested physically removing the flow meter. As he handed it to me, the first thing I did was shake it. You should be able to hear the slop within the flow meter as the turbine moves in its housing. I did not hear any sound as I shook the flow meter. Blowing in the turbine with a shot of air should cause the turbine to turn and coast to a nice gently stop. The turbine was stuck. Upon disassembly, various chunks of unknown debris were found and removed. The flow meter was reassembled and I believe that took care of the problem. In his case, the problem was quite easy since the flow stopped. Erratic problems are much harder to find.

Besides debris, the flow meter may have some internal wear issues preventing the turbine from spinning freely. It sounds as if your rig may have seen quite a bit of use so checking the flow meter is probably wise. Actually I'm in somewhat that situation myself with the used Hagie that I bought. We have not had any flow meter problems but we should probably inspect our flow meter as well as a preventive measure.

If your flow meter internally seems to check out, then I would suspect the wiring from it to the Liquid Module. I believe you indicate that it goes through the cab corner but you have repaired that. I would suspect a problem of that nature. You mention bad AIM, terminator, display etc. all of which are possible but seem less likely to me. You mention that it only does it while moving which tends to agree with a flow meter wiring issue.

The flow meter like many other sensors work on the short/no short idea. Three wires are involved. Power and ground are supplied to the flow meter to power its circuitry. A third wire is called the signal wire and conveys the flow information by creating pulses back to the controller (liquid module in your case). This signal wire is "held" at a logic HIGH (5V is common) by a pullup resistor in the flow meter, controller or both. This signal wire should be pulsing in normal operation. The signal wire is at times held to ground or 0V (logic LOW) but then allowed to return to 5V (logic HIGH). This alternating HIGH to LOW is caused by the magnets on the turbine passing by the sensor.

These pulses represent the speed of the turbine due to the flow. The circuitry in the controller or in your case the Liquid Product Module counts these pulses. The system uses the Meter Cal to convert these pulses to common units such as gallons here in the U.S. The Volume/minute on the display can be very helpful since it really is an indication of just the speed of the turbine which should be consistent based on the flow. If this value is zero or less than expected (good to check it when life is good so you know what it should be) then this is a solid indicator of a flow meter/wiring problem.

This means that all 3 wires must be in good condition. If the Power or Ground wires are "weak" the circuit cannot operate reliably. If the signal wire is week or partially broken then it may not pull the signal wire to ground reliably. I think this could be your problem. So check the flow meter first and if you find nothing, check the wiring. This may be difficult with built in wiring such as you have. In a more basic pull-type sprayer these wires are easier to inspect.

Good luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)