AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fat: A Documentary 2
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 6/9/2022 16:07 (#9698080 - in reply to #9697959)
Subject: that was a good article

Pittsburg, Kansas

That was interesting. He keeps is under 100 grams a day, which is a good goal for the average person in good health.

He had by pass surgery earlier in life. One doctor that does gastric bypass surgery (The Carb Addiction Doc on Youtube) says that most people can do the same utilizing a low carbohydrate diet. He coaches his patients and does a lot less surgeries than he used to, although still does some in certain cases.

For me, I try to stay under 20 grams a day for two reasons. First I am diabetic and currently use diet to completely control my blood sugar without any insulin or medications. Second, if I went to 100 grams I would be eating a wider variety of foods that likely would cause me temptations to over eat. Right now I do not have cravings for things I should not eat. I think I probably would if I tried to transition to a diet more like I used to eat only smaller portions mostly. For a comparison a standard American Diet following the normal recommendations is around 300 grams. Add some sugar soda pop or quite a bit of fruit juice to that and it can easily go to 500 grams.

People that don't have diabetes or problems with food addiction (eating for reasons other than being hungry or needing nutrition) I think would do very well on 100 grams a day or less though. Some studies showing low carb does not work use 200 grams as a low carb diet, which I and most of the low carb community don't really consider low carb. Usually low carb is anything under 125 grams carbs a day. That actually gives quite a bit of flexibility on what a person eats. Under 25 grams is pretty strict.

To be a "ketogenic" diet (where a person is regularly if not all the time in ketosis where ketones rather than glucose in the blood is the major source of energy) for a healthy person usually takes under 50 grams carbs a day and for someone who is insulin resistant (like a type II diabetic for sure is) under about 20 or 25 grams. A ketogenic diet is nothing more than a VERY low carbohydrate diet. Me being a type II diabetic a ketogenic diet is what I use successfully to control my blood sugar levels. If you don't put it in your mouth, it can't show up as glucose in the blood. Type II diabetics would do well to learn that fact (with type I being a whole different animal, yet still able to take much less quantity in their mandatory insulin shots on a low carb diet).

Edited by John Burns 6/9/2022 16:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)