AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The MN social media farm stars are showing off planters- where are these PP acres?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Joe@RFDG
Posted 5/21/2022 21:35 (#9670008 - in reply to #9669888)
Subject: RE: The MN social media farm stars are showing off planters- where are these PP acres?

Glenwood, Mn
jdironman - 5/21/2022 08:13

My brother met them last summer and I think a t time were around or under 6000. But somewhere I thought they said on a video ( not a big watcher) that they picked up or are custom farming another 1000 acres or so. I am just always amazed at how much equipment some of these guys have.

Have to be over equipped.

I farm south and east of Mn millennial about 10 miles as the crow flies. I farm just over 600. The only thing we’ve done is pick rock and cleared a few tree lines. Mud everywhere. Won’t carry an atv in spots. We have tile. Running like mad and frost is still coming out. Water standing everywhere. Guys that have planted maybe have 60% of a field and that’s mudded in.

Soils here crust HARD if worked wet. It’s going to be a disaster. All this after record breaking drought last summer. 19” of rain during harvest, a long and snowy winter and a cold and wet spring. The last”shower” we got was 7”. Well, that is what got measured. Im sure the stuff that came down horizontally didn’t get in the gauge. We’ve been cleaning up downed trees for the last week so that’s been keeping our mind off things. As I type, I am going to be lighting fires in our vineyards tonight to help ward off frost because it’s supposed to get down to 33 tonight. What the absolute hell?

Personally, I have a 400 hp 4wd, 16r30 planter. Looking at the forecast I may get 3-4 days late this week before the rain comes again. Over equipped on a Normal year absolutely. This year. I will literally get a few days total to get it in. That’s hoping nothing breaks down.

You can judge all you want but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Totally different ball game up here. Also for those that say why bother. My corn aph here is 191 and I own it. So…. We try the best we can. We can raise some pretty good corn, just have to “work at it”.

Not asking for sympathy at all, just explaining why we tend to be “over equipped “ here. Time is never on our side.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)