AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planter plates
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Where Can I find?????Message format

sweetcorn70
Posted 5/21/2022 18:35 (#9669751 - in reply to #9669676)
Subject: RE: Planter plates

I have several questions to help in answering yours. "Back in the day" seed was graded for size. Depending on the supplier, modern day seed may not be graded as well or at all due to the fact most people use air planters. Sweet corn seed is irregularly shaped and hard to grade anyway. Depending on where your neighbor purchased his seed, how much he bought and if it was in its original packaging, the bag may have a seed plate recommendation if it is graded. For example, if he bought a 50 lb bag of sweet corn seed from his local seed dealer, it likely has a plate recommendation. If he bought an ounce packet of seed off the rack at the tractor supply/rural king type store, it probably is ungraded and/or no recommendation. In between can be a crap shoot. If he bought it in bulk from a local hardware store or something like that, they likely can contact their supplier and get the information. It will look like C12, B16, etc.

Your original post said it was an IH 71 planter. IH never made a model 71. John deere and later Yetter made the 71. IH made couple similar "Unit planters", model 295(?) and then the later 800 early riser unit was available as a toolbar mounted unit. For plate selection purposes, you need to know if it is an IH or a JD planter, and thats pretty much it..

https://lincolnagproducts.com/ has new plates for both brands. Used ones can also be found on EBAY, craigslist, facebook marketplace, etc. I have a box of IH plates on my front porch and also a box of JD ones at a farm an hour away where i store some things.

IF he cannot find a plate number for his current seed, I suggest he return it and find somewhere he can buy graded seed with a plate recommendation. Many seed dealers who have been in the business for a while have a selection of plates available from when plate planters were common so he may be able to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)