AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

WAAS change on Ag Leader GPS 6500
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/19/2022 07:30 (#9666263)
Subject: WAAS change on Ag Leader GPS 6500

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have a CFX-750 running under WAAS. I was informed of the change from using 138 to 135 several weeks ago. I went into the 750 and forced the change and everything worked fine.

I have an InCommand 1200 and Ag Leader GPS 6500 running with TerraStar paid correction and nothing needed to be done with it since I was not using WAAS. It continued to work fine.

I have another InCommand and Ag Leader GPS 6500 in yet another tractor that does use WAAS. We are not using that tractor at this time. Yesterday since we were rained out, I decided to investigate it. I noticed a list of WAAS choices, the first item in the chart was Auto followed by the various individual WAAS satellites, the last item was Custom. Mine was set to auto which may have been fine but I forced the choice to 135.

I waited for quite a while and the screen indications seemed to be what I would expect although it seemed like it took a long time. I felt I was successful at that point. To test this, I shut everything OFF and restarted. The system went through its expected startup procedure with the degraded GPS message. The satellite icon in the upper right corner started out gray and became yellow. I waited for it to turn green indicating that auto steer would then be available. This eventually did occur but it seemed to take a long time.

I called my dealer and he said that someone else had reported somewhat the same result. They indicated a wait time of about 6 minutes from startup to the satellite icon changing to green.

I shut mine down again and restarted it. The screen indication of degraded serial GPS occurred at about 30 seconds, the satellite icon turned yellow soon after. After about 5 1/2 minutes total time, the satellite icon went green with the warning triangle, At about 6 minutes the warning triangle went away and the solid green icon was present.

It is our conclusion that 135 works properly but the time to get to "green to go" is considerably longer than in the past. This is not really a problem once one is aware that it may take longer. I was doing this out in the open and hadn't moved the tractor between my trials.

So not really a problem but expect more of a wait time. Still much better than the 15-20 minutes with Omni that I have used for the planting tractor in the past.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)