AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Talk a guy through switching from stuffers to tmr for holsteins-long post
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Curious
Posted 5/11/2022 06:16 (#9655923 - in reply to #9655339)
Subject: RE: Talk a guy through switching from stuffers to tmr for holsteins-long post

NW IA
Good comments above from both perspectives,

I had a new Patz vertical mixer in the shed when I exited dairying due to a farm accident, I hadn't built my new shed yet and was aware of the discussions here favoring TMRs for stines based on ration cost/pound of gain.

My age, available help, and size of operation factored into the decision.

I don't doubt the numbers from the TMR side of the discussion even without putting a pencil to them, I will take their word for it.

However, I chose stuffers because they fit my circumstances and preferences.

I want the critters eating outside with little effort to keep the feed safe from rain, wind, etc. I like dry feet and dry bedding. Stuffers can get a bit of rain and snow blown in but it hasn't been hard to remedy when it happens.

I am a one man band with some help from a teenage neighbor girl, mainly related to bottle calves in huts and small square baling. No hut calves in the coldest 3 months.

If my wife and I go to see the "grands" in Chicago for a few days I can top the feeders off and forget about it. My helper just has to look in the trough to see that all is as it should be.

Planting now, same deal, stuffers topped off and chores for the fats is a walk-by. In the winter, or any time during the year with a predicted weather problem for that matter, I do the same thing.

I have a 20K bin that is easy to fill the mixer from and the shed is an asset if I quit.

No need to start a loader and a mixer tractor every day or keep bags free of snow or fight mud.

Only my perspective from my perch, no judgement on others choices.

P.S. To OP. You and another NATer are responsible for one very positive aspect of stuffer use. Pointing me to Sirloin Builder pellets. Again, not cheap, but those little bullets are the bomb for stuffer rations!

Sold the V350 Patz to a small dairy, one of the best pieces of life changing machinery I'd ever owned as a dairyman, they are happy and so am I.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)