AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hydraulic implement switch
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/9/2022 07:08 (#9653477 - in reply to #9652831)
Subject: Off topic -Triggering off of PTO status

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
This is different but involves implement switch situations based on the status of the tractor's PTO. When I was a tech we had a fair amount of call for some type of switch arrangement to start/stop logging with manure situations. These involve the tractor PTO. The idea was that logging and coverage would be controlled by the PTO so the operator would not need to flip a switch.

On certain models of the Deere 8xxx tractors this was fairly easy. We found by trial and error that one of the wires in the cable leading from the Command Arm to the tractor contained a wire that was 12V with the PTO switch engaged and 0V when it was Off. The connector happened to be the 16 pin AMP connector that Raven uses with their 440 etc. We had connectors, pins etc so we made a Tee out of a male and female connector that could be inserted between the Command Arm and the original wiring. This electrical tee had a wire spliced on to the PTO wire. This wire lead to a 12V relay. This meant that the relay would cycle Open/Close based on the PTO. The output from the relay could be attached as an implement switch. This approach worked well and had the advantage of being quickly and easily installed or removed when it was no longer needed. This worked with the 8x10 series at least. Unfortunately I don't think that works on the newer models.

Customers liked the idea and we tried it with some CIH tractors of that age. We were not successful in doing it electrically on those. Those tractors have hydraulics involved with the PTO so one of the guys reasoned we could trigger the coverage based on a hydraulic pressure switch to trigger the relay. That worked out well also. The pressure switch did need to be of the proper pressure range which I forget. The idea of putting a pressure switch in one of the hoses to the implement should work the same way. The polarity of the switch might be backwards (UP is DOWN, DOWN is UP). If this happens there are ways to reverse the action with the relay or changing a setting on the electronics. Reversing the implement switch behavior is not possible with many Ag Leader modules but there is always a way.

We made a small switch box of our own design. It had three positions: ON, OFF and Automatic (based on PTO status). The operator would normally have the switch in the Auto positon but had the ability to change to ON or OFF as needed.

Edited by tedbear 5/9/2022 07:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)