AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bean ground bedded over old corn stalks after rain
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

AR Plowboy
Posted 5/8/2022 12:47 (#9652396 - in reply to #9652348)
Subject: RE: Bean ground bedded over old corn stalks after rain

East Central Arkansas

I probably should have done some things different. I guess my main goal is to be able to stay on the same row the following crop and not have to lay off new rows each year. I don't have GPS guidance so laying off new rows means using markers and getting that first pass in each field laid off like it should be. I think following corn harvest I need to do some sort of pass that will get the stubble on the ground and possibly some soil on it before it becomes so dry. I did pull a do-all across the corn fields last winter. The do-all has rolling chopping blades in front followed by a harrow. The choppers did work the top of the bed some loosening some of the corn stalks and the harrow did drag a good bit of residue to the middles. I think I would have been better off just letting the chopper make enough ground contact to turn and break stalks off. The chopper running like I ran it left the top of the bed very rough. Early this spring I was considering no-tilling some of this ground but after studying the top of the bed where I would be planting it was just to rough. That corn residue just doesn't break down when left standing and just laying of top of the ground. With as much rain as we have had I would have though that residue laying in the middles would have begin to breakdown by this spring. So to try and answer your question about the root balls I will say some get displaced, some trimmed off, some covered over. The two passes with the do-all last week really didn't knock the beds down as much as I would like. With the right or maybe should say wrong weather conditions those beds can become hard really fast on our soils. I was planting corn on last years bean ground on the days it would have been ideal for dragging those beds. I have some beds left to drag off and I think behind this rain we just got, if we get to run on them timely they will drag off better. It's not unusual to have low ends of fields where the middles are too wet to run through and on the higher end of the field the beds are getting hard and dry.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)