AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

FSA 1026 and fence lines
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Seth_ia
Posted 5/2/2022 12:17 (#9642400)
Subject: FSA 1026 and fence lines

I'm struggling to get a straight answer out of FSA. They said that I need a wetland determination to just clean fence lines up? They didn't seem really sure of the answer they were giving me when I quizzed them? That makes me more nervous. Does this sound right? I thought at one-point fence lines were excluded from sod-breaking rules?

I Want to take out about 300-400ft of interior fence pasture fence line around my building site. It's overgrown with trees and needs a track hoe to clear it out. It surrounds essentially an acre of pasture. I've not made up my mind if I'm going to replace the fence (I have sheep and it's near my house so not sure I even want it crops) or farm it. I called FSA and just to inquire about what it would take to convert the pasture to crop land and what the process was potentially. They said no problem on the sod break but no to taking out the fence right now. I was shocked!

Now the really dumb part. This farm is miles from the nearest wetland. I had tile put in on the farm last year and did the wetland determination and 1026 at that time. Apparently NRCS screwed up and did a wetland determination on only part of farm and not the whole thing. Why on earth would someone at NRCS would exclude a few small pieces from a determination when the whole farm is only 40 acres! The lady at the FSA actually told be they(NRCS) were "Just making work for themselves." Made me laugh but I'm still angry. These fence lines are shared between the area with the wetland determination in place. So the practical implication that I'm seeing if my farm has a wetland determination and my neighbor's does not, I can't pull trees in the fence line we share because the determination has not been made on both sides.

Does any of this sound right? This is all my interpretation from some very vague answers I got from the FSA.

Edited by Seth_ia 5/2/2022 12:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)