AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tablet gps
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/30/2022 06:38 (#9638434 - in reply to #9637305)
Subject: RE: Tablet gps

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have used an Apple iPad Pro for a few years for a variety of purposes. My farm use has been with the Ag Leader Ag Finiti program where it gets application information from my Ag Leader InCommand 1200. In that application, the locations are coming from the Ag Leader system.

The iPad has built in GPS which seems to be fine for highway travel and general locating.

I wanted something with more accuracy for more precise locating and marking with the iPad without the Ag Leader system being involved. I purchased a Bad Elf external GPS from Amazon. They make several different models. This one literally plugged into the lightning port on the iPad Pro. The cord was fairly short which meant that if the iPad itself was in a vehicle (tractor, combine, truck, Side by Side), the antenna was inside also. I have a lightning Male to Female that I used as an extension between the Bad Elf and the iPad. This allowed the antenna portion to be outside the vehicle.

I tried it and it worked but not very well. Maybe I got a bad one, maybe there were some setup parameters that I was not aware of but I was unhappy. I drove around in one of my nephew's fields and marked some larger rocks that would require a loader to remove. By coincidence, my nephew happened to bring the loader tractor out to pick up some that he had observed. I thought Great, I can drive back to the rocks I had just marked so he could pick them up.

Either the Bad Elf gave bad GPS readings or maybe it was the fault of the program but some of the marks were actually in a neighboring field. Fortunately I could still see my tracks in the unworked field and I literally visually followed by own tracks to lead by nephew to the rocks.

I returned the unit to Amazon.

With all this being said, there was definitely something wrong because the units must work better than my experience or the company would go broke.

I'm thinking that there should be a way to use one of my extra Ag Leader 6500's or maybe my old Raven Phoenix 200 on WAAS with an external power supply but use an adapter to feed its GPS into the iPad. It would require an app to work with the information.

Later edit: I did a search on external GPS for tablet and found the following video.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-adk-adk_sbnt&ei=UTF...

It appears that their device would connect to either my GPS 6500 or the Raven and by the use of Bluetooth override the GPS from the internal GPS in my iPad Pro. I would need some type of mapping program. In your case with the Pecans, I'm not certain how well the GPS would work among the trees. This device might work for me in bare fields but other than being curious, I really don't have an actual need for it.

Edited by tedbear 4/30/2022 06:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)