AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A modern day cowboy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 5/1/2022 21:46 (#9641638 - in reply to #9634990)
Subject: wild horses

Pittsburg, Kansas
We had a quarter horse that we got as a weaned colt. Crazy thing. We lived on highway and if something came along that made noise, like a backfire vehicle or loud truck or a piece of tin dragging from a truck, the colt would go through the fence, over the fence, crash into the gate, everything you can imagine. Don't know how many times that colt was bloody from its own actions. Drop something on the ground ten feet away and somebody better have ahold of the rope or the colt was gone.

But as it got older and my older brother mostly worked with him (gelding) he got better and eventually my brother was able to shoot a 22 rifle off right above his head and he would not even flinch. Solid as a rock. Going across a metal bridge with two plank runners for the car tires to run across, my brother could ride him right across. My old mare I had to dismount and lead across the bridge. Horses that would flinch when going by a culvert or whatever Tony (the horse) was rock solid. Couldn't imagine a better horse to ride.

So I guess the craziness he had as a colt and my brother spending lots of time working with him, he got over it and not only just got over it but became one of the most solid, dependable horses of any I was around in my youth.

Then I discovered motorcycles, and that was the end of my horse riding.

Edited by John Burns 5/1/2022 21:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)