AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Who will look after you when you can't look after yourself?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

dairymanswife
Posted 1/8/2022 08:58 (#9427144 - in reply to #9426873)
Subject: RE: Who will look after you when you can't look after yourself?

Dave and I are dealing with this with our mothers right now. Both are pushing 98 years old. My mom, at 90 years old decided it was time that her house was too much for her. One of my brothers and I went looking for a senior apartment for her. Just happened to be several openings at one place where she had a couple friends living there. One had been there ten years and told my mom when she is ready she should come there. My mom loved it there. She could have companionship with peers, but yet she could go to her apartment and be by herself too. No more going to the basement to do laundry and it all worked out well. She had a couple hospital stays and her heart was failing and covid hit. We knew she couldn't go back to her apartment and it looked like her time left on earth was short. So we brought her to our house when my siblings could come to see her. Well, she got better. Dave left for AZ (I told him to go) and the news of the elderly being able to get their vaccines was coming. My mom said it was time for her to go to assisted living as she was dealing with open sores on her legs and assisted living would help with that. Moved her there a year ago and they are so good to her there. Yes, there were times because of covid that we couldn't go in, but she is doing well now. My mom was always someone that wants a clean house. Well, she tells me that they clean at least once a week, and they do her bathroom daily. She loves to play bingo and bunko, is going to exercise class and gets her nails done every other week and many more activities even going for rides in the country. My mom didn't want to be dependent on any of her kids. Yes, we take her to her eye and doctor appointments and visit often. When it comes the time when Dave can't go out to his shop to tinker, we said one of those senior apartments might be a good fit. Dave would be out talking with anyone that would listen, and probably a few that don't want to listen. You have to find the right place, they are not all the same.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)