AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Who will look after you when you can't look after yourself?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 1/8/2022 08:53 (#9427125 - in reply to #9426873)
Subject: RE: Who will look after you when you can't look after yourself?

Pittsburg, Kansas

Good subject for discussion.

The people being cared for also can change their minds over time. I witnessed this first hand with my mom. She had a hospital stay that gave her a few weeks in a rest home as a recovery period. She loved it. She liked the staff and after being home most of the time and not getting out a lot she was surrounded by like age people to talk with. That was where she wanted to go when it came time she could not take care of herself. Maybe a year or two went by and she had another accident that also landed her in a rest home for a few weeks. She hated it. Complained of the way she was treated. I was never convinced if her complaints were valid or if in the mean time she was getting in the early stages of dementia. So we were always unsure if her complaints were valid. In the end my dad took care of her till her death then a year or two later some of us children took care of my dad till he died in the home. My wife and I actually moved in with him the last couple months when he got where he could not manage by himself. So neither ended up going to assisted living or a rest home.

But I digress. My original point is that a person may make up their minds for sure what they want to happen. Then things change or attitudes change and they change their minds. Are they making valid decisions? Do we believe what they told us when we knew they were of sound mind or now when it is not as evident?

Lots of questions and a good subject to explore. I have a lot more questions/concerns than I have answers. My parents are both gone but my wife's both parents are in their mid 80's.

My personal intention is to live healthy till I up and die suddenly. The recent motorcycle accident and my long recovery period makes it clear we don't always get what we want.

Edited by John Burns 1/8/2022 09:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)