AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does anybody make their own CAN cables?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/6/2022 07:39 (#9422138 - in reply to #9420872)
Subject: RE: Does anybody make their own CAN cables?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.

I have made longer CAN cables for some of my Ag Leader installations. My method was a bit crude but worked fine. Genuine Ag Leader cables have 4 pin round connectors on both ends. The 4 wires are just common wire which is twisted and covered with split loom.

My approach was to add extra wire in the "middle" of the genuine cable. That way I could reuse the connectors for the ends since I was not able to purchase them.

I started with red, black, green and yellow 18 gauge wire.  I would stagger these wires 3-4 inches offset from each other and clamp them in a bench vise. The idea of the stagger was so that the splices in the wires would be offset from each other which would allow them to lie beside each other without making a large clump in one place.

I would unroll the necessary amount of wire from each spool and cut the wires.  I would straighten them out and put slight tension on them and insert the cut ends in a battery powered drill.  I would back away from the vise and run the drill slowly to twist the four wires together while keeping slight tension on the drill.  At that point I had the four wires twisted together.

I would then cut the original wires in the Ag Leader cable with a similar stagger in the wires to match the stagger in the wires in the vise, slide a piece of heat shrink tubing over each and attach them to the new longer wires.  I would solder the connection and heat shrink over each joint.  I would then start installing new split loom over the assembly to keep it bundled together.  I cut the split loom off its roll with plenty to spare to reach the far end of the final assembly.  I needed to trim some of the wires on the far end to get those wires to be the correct length to match the stagger with the other end of the Ag Leader cable.  I would solder and heat shrink those splices and finish installing the split loom over the rest of the length.  

I did this a few times for planters etc. that needed extremely long CAN cables.  There are probably some electrical specs, I ignored but they seemed to work fine.  I'm quite certain that my approach is not approved.

Edited by tedbear 1/7/2022 10:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)