AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere 7760 vs. Case IH 625 Cotton Picker
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

IH Driver
Posted 6/4/2009 18:58 (#732797)
Subject: John Deere 7760 vs. Case IH 625 Cotton Picker

Northeast Arkansas
This may be a past topic but I have put a lot of thought into it. The Case IH Module Express pickers are front heavier and you do have to tarp it, but the are more "green". The John Deere 7760 picker is not as "green" Case IH. For the Case IH cotton pickers: 1 picker, 1 truck to tarp the modules; John Deere: 1 picker, 1 tractor to move the bales, 1 truck to haul the unreusable bale wrapping. The red picker is more green than the John Deeres. Just think, cotton gins have to upgrade the gin to let the picker go through while the Case IH can go through the gin like the others. Does any know how much cotton is in 1 round bale? Any comments?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bmcpherson
Posted 6/4/2009 19:04 (#732804 - in reply to #732797)
Subject: Re: John Deere 7760 vs. Case IH 625 Cotton Picker

Case picker,

1 picker and driver, drive to end to dump =wasted time, t ruck with 2 men to tarp tag and pick up a lot of dropped cotton from this machine.

Deere picker,
1 picker and driver, nonstop harvesting, tractor and driver to move and line up bales for module truck and to tag them. very little if any dropped cotton when droping bales.

Round bales avearage about 3.5 bale
IH Driver
Posted 6/4/2009 20:10 (#732867 - in reply to #732804)

Northeast Arkansas
What about when that John Deere runs out of tarping plastic? Another guy to be out there to refill the tarping. They say the baler belts on the picker are going to be a pain in the butt when the belts break. Staking the bales 2 on bottom, 1 on top; The are going to be roling. Also, like JK SCLA said, them thing busting? No square bale going to do that! I don't see how it would be hard to load the square bales. Have yall ever rode in a Case Ih Baler Picker? My kin folks have one with no problems. Just some hired hand backed it into a ditch and bent the door. Anything else?
bmcpherson
Posted 6/4/2009 21:12 (#732930 - in reply to #732867)

It is my understanding that you can hold enough wrap to run a normal day. If not you have to stop and load which takes about 20 minutes. Gives you time to clean doors, screens, and grease the heads. I have been around both and I prefer the deere. They all in all have the better machine as far a resalablity, reliability, and performance. Not to mention easy to maintain. We have owned both red and green, and if I have anything to do with it we will have a baler picker in the near future.

Brad
TJG in MS
Posted 6/4/2009 22:48 (#733083 - in reply to #732867)

Itta Bena Mississippi
Having run both pickers, and hauling and ginning both modules, there's no comparison. The play to the ginners by CIH is false economy. The CIH modules must be staged just right or your module truck efficency goes way down. They're also not packed as tight as a conventional module, resulting in ground loss if moved multiple times and the loose module gins slower.
There are several alternatives to the expensive feeder that was developed with the JD picker. We've built our own bale unwrap system that sits in front of the normal feeder. It works well at a fraction of the cost of the one built in Corpus. We've also used JD's loader attachment and we're currently working on our own.
A final word as a ginner. If you're in the Delta, raise cotton and your gin doesn't want to handle your cotton if it's in a round bale (or any other form), Call us at 662-254-7676. We're in the business of ginning cotton, not telling farmers what can't be done. Tom
JK SCLA
Posted 6/4/2009 19:12 (#732813 - in reply to #732797)

One bale is = to an average to better module, before hand, I am partial to the Deere. My question on the Case machine is, what do you do when you are full before getting to the end of the row? Do you figure in advance where to turn in the field to finish fairly even on the ends? If so, you know how ragged it will look in a field when you turn much less how a picker likes getting backed up in stalks, or in a soft/muddy field. So, if you drop it in the field and need the retreiver to get it out.

I have heard professional module haulers with two complaints. Loading the Case modules are a pain and the Deere have burst if the truck bed rips one and they basically explode. Unfortunately the cotton economy is not that to support new infrastructure like these new machines. I feel the days of the basket picker are numbered, the resale values certainly show it, especially when 2 season old machines bring 50% of new
Zach in Ala.
Posted 6/4/2009 21:38 (#732961 - in reply to #732797)
Subject: RE: John Deere 7760 vs. Case IH 625 Cotton Picker

Athens
If you line up these two machines in say a 400 acre field yielding 1200 lbs with each picker picking 6 skipping 6. The Deere will walk off and leave the Case. It will walk off and leave a Deere basket picker too. I would say if/when cotton acres get back up to 12-15 million, the Case engineers will have something better than the current picker, it just can't compete with the Deere in efficiency. IMO
CaseFarmer
Posted 6/4/2009 22:31 (#733054 - in reply to #732961)

Flora IL
what if the the local mill doesn't accept bales that a wrapped.. then case will win.

can all mills accept round or bales with wrapping on them now? I thought that was a costly upgrade for a mill to do and that many wouldn't do it for that reason and the fact there wouldn't be a lot of those comeing in..

just curious..
Zach in Ala.
Posted 6/4/2009 22:54 (#733094 - in reply to #733054)

Athens
CaseFarmer - 6/4/2009 21:31

what if the the local mill doesn't accept bales that a wrapped.. then case will win.

Not likely. With cotton acres on the decline I don't know of any gin that is going to tell a customer they won't take their cotton.

can all mills accept round or bales with wrapping on them now? I thought that was a costly upgrade for a mill to do and that many wouldn't do it for that reason and the fact there wouldn't be a lot of those comeing in..

just curious..

Most of the Gins around 'here' ginned the round bales last year with minimal setup time > 1 day. And relatively inexpensive.
TJG in MS
Posted 6/4/2009 22:57 (#733099 - in reply to #733054)

Itta Bena Mississippi
As stated in the above post, show me a gin in this area that won't gin them and I'll show you another one that will have his business. With as little cotton that's been grown the past 2 years, I don't see ginners telling a big customer(that's who will have module pickers) no.
The shape of the modules has little to do with CIHs inability to regain market share, it's the picker itself. Tom
JK SCLA
Posted 6/4/2009 22:03 (#733001 - in reply to #732797)

Another thought, in 2006 Case sold 46 new pickers and Deere sold 374, you tell me who has the research $ and ability to push a cotton program.
IH Driver
Posted 6/4/2009 22:53 (#733092 - in reply to #733001)

Northeast Arkansas
Don't know where Bayou Des Glaises is but John Deere didn't have Module Pickers here in 2006here in the US. TXCUTTER made a good point, how does the John Deere get a module out during a fire (which is going to happen in any cotton picker). Can't recycle the plastic around the round bales. If there is someway, whats going to happen? You go and buy the plastic, the gin gets it and you go and buy more wrapping. Case IH has reusable tarps. There some money that doesn't have to leave your wallet.
bmcpherson
Posted 6/4/2009 23:15 (#733127 - in reply to #733092)

There were deere module pickers in your area in 2006 and in 2005. Deere has been on this for a long time, so has case. Them little case tarps cost almost as much a a full size tarp so you can take that out of the equation. So what if is not reusable, it should be recyclable as all plastics are. Bottom line case is a dying breed in the cotton market and this is there last grasp at market share. And they are loosing ground fast. I can out pick a case module picker in the same yeilding crop with my deere basket picker and boll buggy. But I cant out pick a deere baler picker. It just walks off and leaves me in the dust.
TJG in MS
Posted 6/4/2009 23:16 (#733128 - in reply to #733092)

Itta Bena Mississippi
1) I can show you a burnt 7760 in Coahoma co and a burnt 625 in Tallahatchie. Fire is no selective. Saving a picker from fire involves lots of luck.
2) If the JD is 15% faster than the CIH, (which it is and then some) the first weather situation that affects grade will more than pay for the wrap.
3) Since the introduction of the 6 row picker, JDs had the sales lead because of it reliability, and from what I can see, that's unlikely to change.
I'll close with saying, as I always do on this subject, I don't work for either company and wish to see the cotton business to be so good that red and green sell every one they can make.
Tom
TXCUTTER
Posted 6/4/2009 22:17 (#733025 - in reply to #732797)

is there any way to quickly get the cotton out of the accumulator area of the deere quickly if it were on fire???
bmcpherson
Posted 6/4/2009 23:16 (#733129 - in reply to #733025)

Yes it has a fire button kinda like case uses it kills the fans and kicks the bale out.

Brad
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)