AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can a Skid Steer Be Too Big?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JDpastor
Posted 12/21/2021 21:52 (#9391366)
Subject: Can a Skid Steer Be Too Big?

I decided to update skid steers. I like the idea of a track machine, but do not like the idea of the added maintenance, so I am looking at either track or wheeled machines. It looks like I can get a lot lower hour wheel machine in nicer condition for the same money as the same sized tracked machine that is beat up with high hours.. I want to stay well below $30K.
I noticed that there are a couple of 110hp 10,500lb wheel machines coming up on auction. They lift about 4000lbs without any trouble. I also have seen a lot of 8000lb machines that look easier to haul around an maneuver. I am not planning to go into tight barns with it. It would mainly be outside dirt work and demolition and moving things around. I do move tile rolls. I would like to use it for cleaning up tree roots and other demolition. I already have a grapple and a 4 in 1 bucket. I have a large excavator for the big stuff, but I want the skid steer for clean up and for doing jobs that I can just throw it on a trailer and get it there quicker than the big machine. I would also like the option for attachments like a trencher. Have any of you gone with the huge brutes of a skid steer and regretted it?

I have seen a lot advertised as pre DEF. I saw on some forums that DEF repairs can be really expensive. That makes me a bit fearful of getting something too new. I would be interested in hearing others thoughts on this as well. Thank you for the advice.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)