AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

copy all JPG files, some have same names in different directories
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 12/17/2021 12:13 (#9381867 - in reply to #9381631)
Subject: RE: copy all JPG files, some have same names in different directories

Southern Minnesota
When moving pictures around or any files for that matter and you try to move or copy a file to a location and there is already one there with that same name you are given the choice of whether to copy it or not. If you allow the copy to be made the one with the duplicated name will get a (1) or the like attached to its name.

Rather than using some "automatic" program, I think you should take the time and look at each picture yourself and then move it to an appropriate folder. I would name the folder with a descriptive name such as Christmas 2021 or Florida 2000. Once the picture is moved to the appropriate folder, I would then rename it with a descriptive name. If you find that you really have duplicates or some poor pictures you can just delete them or move them to another folder if there is a remote chance you might want them someday.

Several years ago, four local guys rode their Harley's to Alaska. They each had digital cameras. Two were standalone cameras and two were smartphones. I was close friends with one of them and he asked me to combine them into a slide show type package. Even though I had been to Alaska recently I had not visited the same places as they did.

I thought this would be a bit time consuming but I figured with my knowledge of them and file operations I could get the job done. It turned out to be very difficult. One of the guys took his wife's older digital camera as he didn't want to risk losing her better one. Unknown to him, she had the resolution set low so as not to use up the limited memory card that the camera used. This meant that the pictures were grainy and small in size. That camera had used the time and date in the file names. The time and date had not been set correctly.

Another guy used another digital camera but the resolution was higher and thus the pictures were much better. The time/date on it were correct at home but remained on home time as the camera did not adjust for the new time zones.

The other guys used smartphones so the time/date in them was correct and was changed automatically as they entered a new time zone.

My plan was to have a folder for each day with a "divider" picture indicating the day that the pictures were taken along with a short description of that days events. Then when the package was played back, the trip was split up day by day. I thought it would be real easy to divide the pictures up by date/time but the cameras were not on the same day/time so that didn't work very well.

Another confusing thing was that the files from one of the guys with a digital camera were already split up into folders and subfolders. I learned later that his granddaughter had used one of those automatic programs that split them up. This was counterproductive to the project. Essentialy I moved them all to a common folder with his name and then went about splitting them back up.

Another problem was that at every major stopping point, each guy took a picture or two of the other guys and always the motorcycles. So for example when, they crossed the border into Canada, each guy had several pictures of the other guys and all the bikes. I didn't think they needed that many pictures of essentially the same thing.

I was starting to get the feel for what they had done when the pictures from one guy seemed to not blend in with the others. Unknown to me, he decided to take his bike alone up to the North Slope. He had more faith in that Harley than I would have had.

Anyway I finally got it all put together and still have the USB stick. None of the guys have asked about getting it. I went through their pictures so many times that I feel like I was with them on the trip.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)