AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Growing oats
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tkoppel
Posted 11/26/2021 13:40 (#9343011 - in reply to #9342926)
Subject: RE: Growing oats

Sanilac Co. Michigan
Manage oats about like you would high management wheat. Split apply N to manage for lodging. Think more like 120# of N, not 70# for top yields. Use Pallisade to minimize lodging. It's best to include S in one of the apps. Your second N app can benefit from a micro product, something like Coron.

You need plenty of P. I'm a big fan of 10 to 12 gal of 10-34-0 in furrow. Include Zn product. K isn't a big deal or dry P, unless you're spreading to maintain fertility. That's about if from a fertility standpoint.

Crop protection products obviously need to match the weed spectrum, just be double dang careful with any 24d products...they can take a bite out of yield. A cheap generic fungicide gets more important the later the oats are planted. Crown Rust is the enemy.

I've always gotten my best yields with high seeding rates. I'd never consider anything less than 1.4 million. Go heavier the later you sow. Main stems nearly always out produce tillers.

Planting date pretty well trumps everything else in establishing yield potential. Consider frost seeding if you're really serious about oats!

Have fun and don't treat them like a "red headed step son"!

Edited by tkoppel 11/26/2021 13:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)