AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Growing oats
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

neverstoplearning
Posted 11/25/2021 18:29 (#9341514)
Subject: Growing oats

SE SD
So been thinking about trying to grow oats here in SE South Dakota. Not a complete stranger to oats but I would like to know more of the technical aspects needed to raise a good crop. Looking to use them for cattle feed, cover crop, and to sell whatever is left.

What are your recommendations on fertilizer? Much of what I've read say to fall apply manure. And go easy on nitrogen.

I hear planting early is best. What kind of rate or population? What's a quality variety of oat seed? Who sells it?

What should I be looking at when preparing for any herbicide, fungicide, or insecticide?

We used to windrow the oats and then use a pickup head to combine them. But that equipment left the farm a while back. My FIL straight cut oats a couple years ago said he had to wait until they were all but falling down. But turned out good for him. Is this an OK practice or will it be a nightmare? How is best to store them and for how long?

Any other thoughts would be appreciated. They will take away from my corn and bean acres but looking to diversify a little by starting small and trying some different things.

Josh
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)