AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

It's not all inflation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Stormwatcher
Posted 11/25/2021 09:24 (#9340286 - in reply to #9338822)
Subject: RE: It's not all inflation

WCMO-SWMO Area
From 1971-79 my area had a bunch of good years.....1979 was unreal...Much land and new machinery was purchased..Starting in 1980 we had 7 lousy weather years in a row ending with bad floods in 1986... That coupled with 15-20% interest ruined lots of farmers in my area....Even the ones that were in good financial shape barely made it thru the 1980's.....Land sold on the court house steps for as little as $300 per acre...

In 1980 the corn made 0,the milo made 15,early beans 3,and the double crop beans 0...In the middle of July on a Saturday it was 112 degrees with a 20 mph wind...What was green that morning was brown by evening.I did have wheat that made 50 and got $4.00 a bu for it...1981 started off dry and then it started raining in mid May..In the next 6 weeks I dumped 24 inches from the rain gauge...I started cutting wheat in early June and it was making 60...It rained and rained and it took 6 weeks to mud out 300 acres..At the end it was only making 20...Some farmers were still cutting wheat in late August..That fall we mudded out most of the beans...By the late 1980's almost half the farmers in my neighborhood were gone...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)