AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IH4186's Farming and Time Post......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

TWB
Posted 11/24/2021 07:41 (#9338187 - in reply to #9335692)
Subject: RE: IH4186's Farming and Time Post......

My father during the sixties and beginnings of the seventies had a Ferguson To-20 tractor that got traded for a MF-35 diesel in 1977 the year I graduated from high school. The equipment he had was:

Athens 2 disc plow
6’ IHC disk
Ford sickle mower
One row tobacco setter
Flatbed wagon
5foot rotary cutter

After I graduated from college and came back home to start farming in 1983 the first major piece of equipment I brought was a used John Deere 24T square baler since my father did not have a baler. My father brought a brand new New Holland 256 bar rake which both of us use together. I rented my great uncle farm and was raising burley tobacco and started a beef cow/calf herd. After a year I got my first tractor, a used MF 275 tractor. Then after that for the next few years I picked up various other pieces of equipment that I needed. I got:

Ford 3 bottom plow
10 foot Bush Hog brand wheel disk
Used Vermeer 605 F round baler
“New” Kuhn 66 disc mower 7’10” cut
New Idea one row corn picker
110 gallon three point hitch spray w/ 28’ booms
Plus wagons and other tools

The area I was farming was more suited for diverse farming operation because there was more land suited from grazing cattle than was crop land. So in the beginning I raised beef cattle, burley tobacco, some ear corn for calf feed and plus I did baling hay for public and selling extra hay to people in the winter.

Years later I added a new MF 4243 cab tractor and the hay equipment got upgraded along the way plus a Farmall Super C with cultivators for the tobacco crop. I quit tobacco in 2014. But I still have most of all the equipment I started out with.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)