AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Food for a Neighbor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

timis
Posted 11/19/2021 00:04 (#9328521 - in reply to #9327428)
Subject: RE: Food for a Neighbor

Iowa
Gonna throw this out there. Wife and I have 4 kids, last 2 had issues when born so they had extended hospital stays. (Wife had to stay with them 2+ hrs away) One for 3-4 weeks, other for 8 months. One of the most frustrating things was getting calls from people at church (most of them were 60+) “I’m gonna bring over supper, I’ll be there at 6”. (They basically try to tell you how it’s gonna be - but it didn’t fit with our schedule - young families move around a lot and there were times I had to go out of my way to make it back to meet them) Then they bring over everything thing in their casserole dishes. Which added another thing to clean and keep track of who needs to get what pan back. The best one was a meal that someone made in all disposable containers, it was frozen- so you just threw it in the oven, then threw out the foil pans. Keep in mind also that the younger generation eats a lot different- we ate a lot of frozen pizza and burritos- pancakes and eggs - fast, cheap, lots of things I could set the timer and it’ll tell me when it’s done. When you’re stressed you grab comfort foods - each generation has a different idea what those are.

So I’d make 2 suggestions-
ask them what they would like, and even ask for their recipes- I know there were times my other kids would not eat something because it didn’t taste like mom made (not sure if there’s other kids in the house or not). I really felt bad because there were meals people would bring over where I was the only one that’d eat it, and it’d get wasted.

I’d definitely use the foil pans where once they’re done they can throw them away - saves on dishes, and trying to get pans back - I think that lady got them off a website that showed how to make them. To me cleanup was worse than meal prep, cause that’s time to get kids to bed.

I really hope nobody takes this post the wrong way - but that was just my perspective as dad alone with 2-3 kids - because you feel bad if things aren’t eaten, knowing that someone cared enough to help out.

Good luck and thanks for caring about them!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)