AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Several low carb recipes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 11/17/2021 09:37 (#9325411 - in reply to #9325197)
Subject: RE: Several low carb recipes

Pittsburg, Kansas
And there are different levels of low carb. I try to keep mine below 20 grams daily to manage my diabetic blood sugar levels. I no longer need to lose weight.

But a fit person not needing to lose weight, just improve their overall health, might do fine on 100 grams carbohydrates a day. 20 grams is very limiting. 100 grams would be a much easier target and would allow more latitude in food variety.

As a comparison, a standard American diet following guidelines is around 300 grams carbs. People adding some desert and soda pop to the mix can pretty easily exceed 500 grams. 500 grams carbs a day is going to put on weight unless a person is doing a lot of physical labor.

By substituting some high carb dishes with low carb dishes it can be helpful preventing more weight gain. For example the cracked cauliflower dish is a good substitute for scalloped or mashed potatoes. Dropping from 500 grams a day to even 200 might not lose weight but at least might stabilize and quit gaining the 2 to 3 pounds a year like I did. 2 to 3 pounds a year over 40 years and there i was, a hundred pounds overweight. It doesn't happen overnight.

She also has some desert recipes. But they are not going to taste sweet (unless a person adds artificial sweetener which we personally try to avoid).

Edited by John Burns 11/17/2021 09:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)