AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

R52 Starter just keeps spinning…engine running with key off.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mitchco
Posted 10/17/2021 16:09 (#9273832 - in reply to #9273793)
Subject: RE: R52 Starter just keeps spinning…engine running with key off.

SW OH
Here's my thoughts. Electrical circuit's on a machine or vehicle generally have 2 systems. Run, and accessory. The run circuit only operates critical functions needed to run the engine. Accessory circuits will have the radio, blower motor, gauges, and other powered circuits not needed for the engine to run.

When the key is on, both curcuits are powered. When you want to listen to the radio or roll the windows down, the accessory position on the key switch will not power the injector pump or the coil on a gas engine. When the key is in the crank position only the ignition circuit will be powered and not the accessory circuit. This can be achieved different ways. One is to have a more complicated ignition switch with multiple contacts inside. Another way is to put an additional wire on the starter solenoid. A second small wire that will become energized when the plunger inside pushes the washer up to make contact with the big posts. That second small wire will power the injector pump while cranking if a more simplified key switch is used.

So if your solenoid has 2 small wires, I'm going to say you have gotten 2 bad solenoids. What's happening is the washer inside is continuously making contact with the battery post after starting the engine which is also making connection between both battery and motor posts. This is always feeding the injector pump which is why it won't shut off and the starter is running but the plunger is letting the bendix disengage so it's not still in contact with the flywheel.

If you don't have 2 small wires then I don't know and would have to see it myself.

Mitchco

Edited by Mitchco 10/17/2021 16:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)