AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Contemplating upgrading from a TR to a CR new holland combine.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

case
Posted 10/17/2021 23:19 (#9274733 - in reply to #9273605)
Subject: RE: Contemplating upgrading from a TR to a CR new holland combine.

Central ND
Gromit - 10/17/2021 12:42

Still harvesting, but looking already to next year. We've run TR's for many years, starting with an early TR85 to a TR97 and TR98. Been great combines but parts are getting harder to get. My sons are interested in taking over some day so I'm seriously consider upgrading to either a CR940 or Cr960. Been finding some low houred ones that are getting in my price range. So the guys that have them, what do you like about them, or dislike about them. Any maintenance issues, common wear items, things to look at closely when inspecting them? Engine issues? Anyone interested in a low houred 98 after season? I do you a 96c corn head that will work. I have a very nice 93c bean head but I'm assuming that would have to be converted to single point hookup (if you can). Any other input or insight would be appreciated.
Bruce

I never ran a TR machine, but from what I do know of them, if you want to gain any capacity at all you should at least start with a CR970, or if budget allows a CR9070 is much nicer.
If this helps compare at all, if you know how a Case 2388 compares to your 98. Ive ran a 2388 next to a 9060 and a 9070. We first demoed a 9060 alongside our 2388 and decided it wasn't a big enough upgrade for us. We now have the 2388 and 9070 in the shed, but have had them side by side quite a few times.

2388 with 30'
9060 with 35'
9070 with 40'

In Spring Wheat, those 3 combinations will all run the same mph but with bigger heads.

As far as what to look for, common wear items, etc.... look up inside the machine and you'll be able to see the amount of paint wore off the top as well as the shape the beater is in. Also look closely at the shaker frames. Can't remember exactly where but there's been quite a few that have been know to crack. I can't tell you much about the engines in the smaller machines but we have over 3200 engine hours on our 10L 9070 and have only had 1 issue that was still an easy fix. (Believe it was bolts on the timing gear or something had let it move a hair, engine would fire, throw code and die). Otherwise check all the augers for wear, clean grain elevator chain, etc. We replace the feeder drive chains on the side of the feeder house yearly (300hrs). Love how easy they are to set, belts chains and bearings are all easy to tension and maintain instead of possible electric/hydraulic issues. Grease points are pretty decent to get to, 50 & 100 hr intervals. The only dislike I have, and the 940/960/9060 etc would be smaller & lighter anyways due to smaller rotors, is changing the concaves. It's not the switching thats hard, it's lifting them up and down to get them into where they need to be from the ground. They are HEAVY. but I also choose not to remove the extensions which would help with weight. The concave shear bolt sometimes can also be frustrating, but you learn how much green kochia, etc you can push the machine through without breaking one. Have ran our machine for 7 or 8 seasons now, coming from the 2388 and older Axial Flows, and plan to stick with CR machines for quite some time yet. Have no intention of getting rid of our machine anytime soon.

2011 and older is pre-DEF if you are wondering.

Edited by case 10/17/2021 23:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)