AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New To Me Harvest Video by Drone
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

WJKEIGER
Posted 10/18/2021 10:18 (#9275242 - in reply to #9275065)
Subject: RE: New To Me Harvest Video by Drone

nw NC
farmwithjunkrrv - 10/18/2021 08:13

Was that a flood or a man made lake by a dam?

I found the following info regarding Reetz Lake.

Reetz Lake is in Day County and is considered a non-meandered lake because it formed during the 1990s. It’s bed, like most other non-meandered lakes, was originally sold or granted as deeded property in the 1800s. A South Dakota law passed by the legislature following a 2017 special session allows landowners to close all, or portions of, non-meandered lakes that cover their land. The expressly forbids landowners from receiving compensation for granted access to lakes they’ve closed.

The Reetz family had farmed and raised livestock in what is now the bottom of Reetz Lake for decades. But by 1996, due to increased rainfall and a rising water table, the lake had made the land unusable and had forced the relocation of several outbuildings.

South Dakota’s constitution declares the state’s surface water a public resource and charges state government with managing water on citizens’ behalf. But there is markedly less clarity on what to do about surface water that has covered private land for decades. South Dakota has been struggling with the issue since the 1990s, when the northeast portion of the state entered a wet cycle and formerly dry, farmable closed basins started to fill with water. The resulting lakes are known as non-meandered lakes.

I took from Google maps the satellite view of the area of the lake 5 miles south of Webster, S. D. Red line encircles the lake with small red circle in the water is location of the barn and silos.
I suggest that you find the location on google satellite view and then go to street level view on the highway crossing the lake. Pretty neat view. As other roads in that area of South Dakota have had to be done, the roadbed of highway 25 was no doubt raised after water began filling the low lands. There is a large lake east of Webster that has a three mile long roadway straight through the middle of the lake. I was told that road has been raised and widened three times as water continued to rise. We traveled that road. It was a neat sight to behold. Look at it on satellite and street view. Pictures below of Rush Lake east of Webster

Edited by WJKEIGER 10/18/2021 10:48

(Capture 5.5 miles south Webster SD (full).JPG)

(550 (Large) (full).JPG)

(556 (Large) (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Capture 5.5 miles south Webster SD (full).JPG (115KB - 96 downloads)
Attachments 550 (Large) (full).JPG (124KB - 91 downloads)
Attachments 556 (Large) (full).JPG (69KB - 85 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)