AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hay equipment shopping - updating round baler and mower
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

W Bench Farms
Posted 10/16/2021 18:48 (#9272424)
Subject: Hay equipment shopping - updating round baler and mower

Lisbon, OH
Looking for new to me equipment for next year. Just sold my Krone KR 160, and wanting an upgrade. I'm needing to be able to mow and bale faster than I am now. Could get 20-22 bales an hour out of the Krone. Need 4x5 bales, but be able to also bale 4x4 to wrap. Must bale silage, and also have a wide pickup.

Went and looked at a Deere 458 and 457 today. The 458 is a 2009 and has about 7000 bales on it, silage special, net, megawide plus pickup. Look pretty straight and pretty well taken care of. Belts, chains and sprockets look good. Priced to me at $17500

The 457 has about 12000 bales. Had belts and chains replaced this year. Silage special, megawide and net. Looks a little shinier than the 458, but older and more bales. Pickup shows more wear. $15500.

I'm leaning towards the 458 just being the newer baler with less bales. Tires looked better on it as well. I didn't see anything that was wrong with it. Has the square pickup teeth and the roller. Net doesn't look like it was ever used.

I do about 700-800 bales a year. The Krone I just sold probably had over 30k bales on it, and was a good reliable baler. Just wanting something newer and faster. Several people mentioned to me that 7k bales was pretty high. To me, that just broken in, but I'm used to old junk.

Also looking for a bigger disc mower. Have a Frontier DM 1160 we have used the last 4-5 years. Will keep it and use it, but wanting a bigger pull type. Looked at a Vermeer MC840. Seemed pretty decent. I would like something at least 10', not sure if I want to go to 13' as we travel quite a bit. I think a 10' will up my production quite a bit over my 7'10" mower now. Not familiar with the MC840 at all. Not scared of working on them, but don't want to put a bunch of money in a mower, and then have to spend a pile on parts.

Was hoping to be in the $22-25k range on a baler and mower for what I do. Looking at about 30 on the combo I priced today. I don't mind working on equipment, but I want to get into something that won't be broke down when I need it. I've been pretty lucky the last few years with my old junk. Just minor breakdowns, usually up and running pretty fast. I try to keep enough parts on the shelf to patch anything that my decide to give up on the weekends.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)