AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

F 630 head
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 10/14/2021 08:52 (#9268285 - in reply to #9268021)
Subject: RE: F 630 head

Faunsdale, AL
I don’t think any of the replacements you buy require cutting old floor out and welding in new.

I second the locally fabbed sheet metal.

I’ve welded in 11 gauge and last one I did I bolted in 14 gauge mild steel. Figured it would outlast the rest of the head. I took a piece of heavy wire and bent it to match the curve of the floor sheet in an undamaged area and had local shop bend sheets to match. I ran from lapping back of stainless steel sheets under the hold down strip to slightly above stripper support in the back of the auger.

The 900 series heads have a stripper under the auger so that’s 3 rows of bolts pulling it down tight to the old floor. First I removed the strippers and LOOSENED the bolts on the hold down strip behind the stainless steel sheets. The nuts will not come off most of them before the carriage head spins out, so you’ll have to torch the old bolts. Get new ones anyway. Fastenal had them. Get plenty so you can snap a few off pulling the new sheet down tight.

I placed the sheets starting on outer edges and working toward center. Each sheet fit under the hold down strip at the back of the stainless steel sheets. We tapped the sheet forward against the hold down bolts and tightened them all up to secure the sheets. We butted them together end to end before tightening the hold down strip.

Then we pushed down in the bottom under the auger and drilled up through that line of holes and then bolted that down with the floor stripper. After that we went along the back and repeated the process to install the rear stripper support. I let the sheets lap a little in the center of the throat under the auger fingers, mainly so I didn’t have to cut it off.

Last thing I welded all the seams and the edge where it was lapped.

I did this whole process with the header on my trailer since I had good access all around. Raise reel up and block it up before you unhook combine! You could do it with header mounted on combine except for welding in the rear center of the throat area.

2 guys in a short day.

Edited by ccjersey 10/14/2021 09:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)