AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cost of Roundup in the 70's
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WJKEIGER
Posted 10/14/2021 20:43 (#9269304 - in reply to #9267905)
Subject: RE: Cost of Roundup in the 70's

nw NC
I don't recall the year ( sometime in 1980's) we first bought some Round-up but I do remember it was $80 per gallon. We had no-tilled for years already using paraquat. One weed was becoming a real problem for us, Broadleaf and Curly Dock. Paraquat burn leaves off but it came back quickly from root. A small hillside field of just over an acre in size grew great corn for silage but it had become severely infested with dock species. The label at that time stated dock species required 3 to 5 quarts per acre. We bought one gallon and put it in the sprayer in 40 gallons of water. I sprayed it on the field and then dad and I went into town to the farm supply store for something. While at the store a thunder shower was building up to the west where our farm is. Oh crap! Hope it doesn't rain on that freshly sprayed expensive chemical! Label at that time I believe, said it needed 2 hours or more to be safe from wash-off, otherwise would require re-treatment. We left for home (4 miles) and ran into heavy rain most of the way home. Just as we reached the farm road , we ran out of the rain, turned onto farm road and it was dry. None had fallen at the farm. Whew, that was close! The Round-Up was safe and it totally killed the dock weeds.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)