AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cost of Roundup in the 70's
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 10/14/2021 19:40 (#9269167 - in reply to #9267905)
Subject: RE: Cost of Roundup in the 70's

Thumb of Michigan
My memory is fuzzy as the the years and name of the group- but hopefully some Canadians can jump in with more info.

Heres the background: some time in the 90's ( I think thats the correct timeline) we were trying to no till everything in our rotation. Round Up was key to making it work. Trouble was the cost. Seems like at the rate we were using for burn down, it took 10 to 12 bucks an acre.

All of a sudden, we could get Round Up out of Ontario for something like $10 bucks or so a gallon USD, FOB Ontario. So, we were heading over once or twice a year and getting our needs taken care of. That came to an end after a couple years. Local Monsanto Reps had been making some veiled as well as out right threats, but nothing much stuck there. It just got to be tough to get back over with a pick up load of RU for whatever reason. No matter, because it was about the time the patent went off, and we could buy it for about the same cost per gallon, without making a road trip.

I only heard about 1 person ever getting stopped and turned around with a pick up load of Round Up. And that was a long time friend of mine. It was pretty typical for him, though. His border crossings were always events that stressed the US/ Canadian relationships. It took a fair mount of détente to fix some of his escapades anywhere, but the border was always an issue for him.

So, a few years later, I was somewhere and heard a gentleman from Canada speaking at a meeting about a group of farmers who'd banded together and were going to manufacture glyphosate. I think they'd had the dough together to do it even. Monsanto sued, and the farmers prevailed. Farmers proved they could make it for around $10, everyone came to an agreement that M would sell oit for $10 to anyone who wanted Round Up, just as long as the factory didn't get built.

I'm likely off on the years, but the farmer vs M deal I think is accurate- except I can't remember the guys name who told the tale, or the name of the group that made it all happen. Hoping someone can shed more light on it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)