AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If you were diagnosed with terminal cancer would you try an unapproved treatment?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OneEyedCat
Posted 10/13/2021 14:16 (#9266949 - in reply to #9266914)
Subject: RE: If you were diagnosed with terminal cancer would you try an unapproved treatment?

bshannon - 10/13/2021 13:57

Husband had a great oncologist. Right up front, he said it's not about quantity of time, it's about quality. I saw this only a few years later when my wonderful employee was discovered to have metastatic lung cancer. In hindsight, zero treatment for him would have been a better option than a couple more months of what I would only call existing rather than living. I think we all feel helpless and want to do whatever we could for a family member, but if I were to be diagnosed with terminal cancer, I would rather spend time left doing things I enjoyed and spending it with family rather than chasing down experimental cures. More of life is missed doing this than focusing on the time you have.

Sorry about your husband and employee. It’s tough watching anyone going through it. You have my sympathies. I know how it feels to lose loved ones to it. Been through it a number of times.

My cousin was diagnosed with terminal cancer. It’s my opinion now that she knew earlier on about it and didn’t want to burden others. There were clues in her words back then that make me consider that to be likely. She had made a special trip to see family that she hadn’t seen in person for decades. Pretty much before it had only been phone calls and thank you cards.

Approximately six years later she revealed the terminal diagnosis to family via telephone calls. She told us then that she was just going to focus on the time she had left and just enjoy it as much as possible. Sounds like she did just that. I remember her talking about all those trips up and down mountain roads in her Jeep. Those stories told by her in the final days and her smile made things appear less dark. I think she kept up the trips into the mountains alone until her body was too weak to drive. Her mom also had passed from cancer years before.

Edited by OneEyedCat 10/13/2021 14:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)