AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

landlords and cover crops
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 10/13/2021 09:00 (#9266420 - in reply to #9266314)
Subject: RE: landlords and cover crops

southern MN
Hilltop Husker - 10/13/2021 07:05

I believe cover crops are only suited for areas with enough precipitation. I've got neighbors who planted green this year into tall cereal rye and they don't have a crop to harvest.

If a landlord wants a rent check I don't think they would want cover crops here. However in the areas of the country that battle moisture by all means grow something to utilize it

So if they don't have a place everywhere, they don't need to be forced upon landlords.

And enough excess growing degree days for them to grow. This year was that one in ten years covers would have established well here after early bean or corn harvest. Often we are combining after first frost, and planting corn with frost still in the ground. Makes it a challenge to make any cover crop viable locally.

On small acres of silage, canning crop, or small grains they work fine, but the majority of the acres there just isn’t any left over growing degrees days in a normal year.

(72E88196-52A7-4BEF-87D2-C21FCD42ED52 (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 72E88196-52A7-4BEF-87D2-C21FCD42ED52 (full).jpeg (234KB - 1 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)